Yield: 4 servings of each dish
* 4 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breast, 6 to 8 ounces each
* 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, eyeball it, just enough to coat
* 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
* 3 stems rosemary, leaves stripped and chopped, about 2 tablespoons
* Salt and coarse black pepper
* 4 cloves garlic, cracked away from skin with a whack against the
flat of your knife
* 1 package, 12 to 16 ounces, fresh ravioli, any flavor filling
* 3 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
* 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
* 2 handfuls grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
* Salt and pepper
* 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley, a couple of handfuls
* 6 slices pancetta, chopped
* 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan
* 1 small shallot, finely chopped
* 2 teaspoons sugar
* 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, eyeball it
* 1 bunch, about 10 ounces flat-leaf spinach
* Salt and pepper
Coat chicken in balsamic vinegar, then olive oil. Season chicken with
rosemary, salt and pepper and let stand 10 minutes.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for ravioli. Salt water and drop
ravioli in water. Cook 8 minutes or until raviolis expand, float to
top of water, and are al dente.
Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken
breasts and cracked garlic to the pan. Cook chicken 12 minutes, or
until juices run clear, turning occasionally. The balsamic vinegar
will produce a deep brown, sweet finish on the chicken as it cooks.
When the chicken is 2 or 3 minutes away from done, heat a second
skillet over medium low to medium heat. To the second skillet, add
butter to the pan and let it begin to brown.
Remove chicken from the first skillet and transfer to a warm platter.
In a skillet over medium high heat and add the pancetta. Brown the
pancetta bits, about 2 or 3 minutes, then transfer to paper towels to
drain and return pan to heat, reducing heat to medium. Add oil and
shallots to the pan and let the shallots saute 2 minutes.
When the butter for the ravioli has browned, add cooked ravioli to the
pan and turn in butter to heat through. Add balsamic vinegar to the
ravioli and cook a minute or 2 longer to reduce the vinegar and glaze
the ravioli. The vinegar will become thick and syrup like. Add cheese,
parsley, salt and pepper to the pasta and remove the pan from the
To the sauteed shallots for the spinach salad, add sugar and cook
sugar with shallots 1 minute. Add vinegar to the pan, scraping up pan
drippings. Add spinach to the dressing and turn to wilt and coat it
evenly in sweet vinaigrette. Add crisp pancetta to the salad.
Serve chicken along side ravioli and spinach salad, all on the same