Cook Time: 25 min
Yield: 4 servings, 3 tarts per person
* Olive oil cooking spray
* 12 very thin slices white bread, crusts trimmed (recommended:
* 2 tablespoons butter
* 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
* 2 large onions, very thinly sliced
* 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
* 2 teaspoons ground thyme or poultry seasoning
* Salt and black pepper
* 1 pound Swiss cheese, shredded
Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
Spray both sides of bread and press bread into small 12 cup muffin
tin. If you do not own a muffin tin, disposable tins are available on
the baking aisle of market. Place bread in oven and toast until
golden, 7 or 8 minutes. Remove and reserve.
In a skillet, melt butter into oil. Add onions and bay leaf, season
with thyme, salt and pepper. Cook onions until caramel colored, 15 to
Turn broiler on.
Place spoonfuls of cooked onions in toasted bread cups. Discard bay
leaf. Cover onions with cheese and set tarts under hot broiler to
bubble and brown cheese. Serve hot.