Yield: 4 servings
* 1 1/2 pounds ground veal
* 1 pound ground beef
* Salt and pepper
* 2 cloves garlic, grated or minced
* 1 large egg, plus 1 egg yolk
* 2 handfuls grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
* 2 handfuls plain bread crumbs
* 3 tablespoons sliced or finely chopped sage leaves
* 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
* 8 ounces Gorgonzola
* 1 tablespoon butter
* 2 fresh bay leaves
* 1 onion, finely chopped
* 1 cup chicken stock
* 1 (15-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
* 1/2 cup cream
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Place meat in a mixing bowl and season with salt, pepper, add in
garlic, eggs, cheese, bread crumbs and sage. Mix meat, roll into 8
large balls and arrange in a baking dish. Coat balls with 2
tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil. Using the end of a wooden spoon,
make an indentation half way into each ball and fill the cavity with
some Gorgonzola. Bake until golden and cooked through, 15 to 20
Heat 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil and butter in a sauce pot
over medium heat, add bay and onions and season with salt and pepper.
Add chicken stock and tomatoes and heat through, stir in cream, reduce
heat to medium-low and simmer to thicken slightly 8 to 10 minutes.
Ladle sauce into shallow bowls and top with big stuffed meatballs and
potatoes alongside, if desired.