Yield: 4 servings
* 8 soft corn tortillas
* 3 cups chicken broth
* 4 pieces boneless skinless chicken breast, 6 to 8 ounces
* 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
* 2 sprigs fresh oregano
* 1 small onion, quartered
* 2 tablespoons tomato paste
* 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1/3 palm full
* 1 teaspoon ground cumin
* 2 cups tomato sauce
* 2 teaspoons hot cayenne pepper sauce, several drops
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 2 pinches
* 1 teaspoon chili powder
* 2 1/2 cups Monterey Jack shredded cheese, available on dairy aisle
Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.
Wrap corn tortillas in foil and warm in the oven. Bring broth to a
boil in a saute pan. Set chicken into broth with bay and oregano and
onion. Return to a boil, cover and reduce heat to simmer. Poach
chicken in broth 10 minutes. Remove chicken breasts to a bowl and
shred with 2 forks. Add 1/2 cup of cooking liquid and tomato paste,
spices and salt and work through the chicken using the forks.
Combine all sauce ingredients and heat through, keeping warm until needed.
Remove tortillas from oven and switch broiler on high.
Pile chicken mixture into warm corn tortillas and roll. Line casserole
or baking dish with enchiladas, seam side down. Pour hot tomato sauce
over the chicken enchiladas and top with cheese. Place in enchiladas
in hot oven 6 inches from broiler and broil 5 minutes to melt cheese
and set enchiladas. Serve.