Yield: 4 servings
* 1 1/2 pounds fresh tuna steak
* 2 cloves garlic, chopped
* 2 inches fresh ginger root, minced or grated
* 3 tablespoons tamari dark soy sauce
* 2 scallions, chopped
* 1/2 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
* 2 teaspoons sesame oil -- eyeball the amount
* 2 teaspoons grill seasoning blend (recommened: Montreal Steak
Seasoning by McCormick) or 1 teaspoon black pepper and 1/2 teaspoon
coarse salt -- eyeball it
* 1 tablespoon light-in-color oil, such as canola, safflower or peanut oil
* 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, coarsely chopped
* Coarse salt
* 4 sesame kaiser rolls, split
* 1 jar, 8 ounces, mango chutney
* 4 leaves red leaf lettuce
* 1 jar, 8 ounces, wasabi mustard (recommended: Stonewall Kitchen
brand) -- Asian sweet-hot mustard, available on the condiment aisle as
well as in Asian foods section of larger markets, may be substituted
* Exotic root vegetable chips (recommended: Terra brand), to pass
at table, optional
* pickled ginger, optional plate garnish
Preheat a nonstick griddle or a grill pan to high heat.
Cube tuna into bite size pieces and place in a food processor. Pulse
the processor to coarse-grind the tuna; it should take on the
consistency of ground beef or turkey. Transfer tuna to a bowl. Combine
ground tuna with garlic, ginger, dark soy sauce, scallions, red bell
pepper, sesame oil, seasoning blend and black pepper. Form 4 large
patties, 1 1/2 inches thick. Drizzle patties on both sides with
light-in-color oil, such as canola, safflower or peanut oil.
Cook tuna burgers 3 minutes on each side for rare, up to 6 minutes
each side for well done. Preheat broiler.
In a medium nonstick skillet over high heat, saute fresh shiitakes for
2 or 3 minutes in 1 tablespoon light oil -- 1 turn of the pan in a
slow stream. Season mushrooms with salt and pepper.
Open up the rolls and lightly toast them under the broiler. Spread
mango chutney on the bottom of each bun. Top with tuna burger,
shiitakes, red leaf lettuce. Spread wasabi mustard or sweet hot
mustard on bun tops and set them in place. Serve with exotic chips and
pickled ginger, if desired.